Administering the Phonics Check
These downloadable materials will support your understanding of how the Phonics Check can be used in your Year 1 class. It is recommended that the Phonics Check is used later in Year 1, during the second half of the academic year.
- User manual for School Administrator provides detailed instructions to school administrators for administering and using the online Phonics Check.
- User manual for School Teachers provides detailed instructions to school teachers for using the online Phonics Check.
- User manual for conducting Phonics Check remotely provides detailed instructions to school teachers for conducting the Phonics Check for students learning remotely.
- How to prepare and administer the Phonics Check provides advice about what the teacher's role is, how to score and report on the results, how to effectively record student errors for further targeted interventions and adaptations for special needs.
- Student materials containing the words in the Phonics Check provides a list of the words in the Check for teachers who prefer students to read from a printed sheet.
- Student practice materials for the Phonics Check provides teachers with examples of the real words and the pseudo words similar to those included in the Check.
- Advice on scoring the Phonics Check gives teachers advice about scoring in terms of acceptable pronunciation of real words, pseudo-words and regional pronunciations.
- Answer sheet for the paper version of the Phonics Check can be used by teachers while the student is undertaking the Check.
- Tips for analysing and responding to the Phonics Check results gives teachers extensive guidance in terms of whole-school planning, decodable texts, parent involvement and strategies for responding to learning challenges raised by the Check.